So you want to know about Robin?

My photo
Hi All! A little about myself, I'm a 27 year old living in Jersey with my hubby and our 75 lb fur-child, Gunner. I recently landed my dream job as a Speech Language Pathologist in a huge acute-care hospital in our area and I couldn't be happier! In addition to my "day-job", I moonlight as a crazed crafter, lol. I have been a lover of anything "crafty" for as long as I can remember but didn't have time to actually ENJOY the crafts I was making until I finished up with my masters degree. Now, I'm done and have some more time available to create things that I love. Hope you enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Knot Dress

Ok all... the good news is that I successfully constructed a knot dress! The bad news is that there needs to be definite changes for the next one that I make.  And I apologize, because I was so caught up in actually making the dress, I sporadically took pictures.  So here's what I have.

This is the color palette I originally chose... the brown ended up getting axed.  {I also apologize for the color in the pictures... everything looks brighter than it really does in person}






 I cut 2 pieces of fabric 5x9 inches. This is going to be the front and back of the bodice.  Then I measured in and down 2 inches.  This allows for the armholes.
 Then I got fancy (lol) and added some turquoise trim so I wouldn't have to figure out how to hem a curved line.... (shhhh don't tell anyone that I'm lazy!)

From here, I put the two pieces of fabric together (right side facing eachother) and sewed one side together.


 Then, I tempted fate and tried to make pleats... Thankfully it worked!  I made them by leaving a 2 inch gap, then I picked up the fabric right above the 17 and folded it over to the 15.
 Then it looks like this :)  (please ignore the switch in #s, like I said, I was really bad about taking pictures this time!)
Ok, again with the switch-a-roo with pictures.  So here is where I attached the top to the bottom.  I placed the right side of the fabrics together and sewed one big straight line.






Then I went to sleep and finished the rest today and totally forgot to take ANY pictures until it was done.  In between, I added straps and a hem and buttonholes!  Here it is!!


The dress could be worn either way, with the knots in the front or the back :)








So it should be interesting when I give this to Chris' cousin... I have no idea if it's going to fit her (this is supposed to be a 6 month size) or if it will even make it through the washer... I'm going to give that a test run tonight.  

Things I learned:
 - this may need a zipper
 - I love making dresses
 - I need to take my time and pay attention to where seams are going to show up.

Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment: